Hi all,

I'm setting up a multi-room system with 8 zones/players. I was asking
elsewhere in the forum if 8 is realistic and the answers generally come
back to bandwidth and whether the players can natively transcode the
streams.

I have no idea on the transcoding question so thought I'd ask if anyone
can point me in the right direction.

My setup includes various versions of squeezelite running on multiple
pi's:

- Pi A+ (1 player)
- Pi1 (original pi) (1 player)
- 2x Pi B+ (2 players each)
- Pi3 (1 player)
- One squeezebox classic 3

They are running a mix of onboard DAC's and USB DACs (some pis running 2
players with one of each). Most onboard DAC's are capable of 24khz 192
but one USB DAC is only capable of 48KHz max at 16 bit stereo.

The bits I really don't have clear in my head are:
Is that last DAC likely to cause me issues?
Will any transcoding needed for that lower DAC fall onto the Pi to
complete, or will the server need to do that transcoding?
If the server does the transcoding, am I right in thinking all players
sync'd will get the same lower quality stream?
Will the hardware of the different types of Pi be similar enough in
their nature to play nicely with numerous players (I'm assuming yes).
How about with the squeezebox in the mix?