Brilliant thanks DrMatt, I appreciate the help.

The reality is that while FLAC is total overkill for 7 or the 8 zones,
it is how my music is stored. Part of why I'm trying to get my head
around this is so I know what will happen under different scenarios.

Based on this, if I place the SB3 to drive the hallway, it'll only be
used when lots of the house is also being used and we are on the go...
It'll then force transcoding and significantly reduce the bandwidth
needed across the house when lots of players are running.

Then when the kids go to bed and the hall/bedrooms/outside are off I can
sit in the lounge and listen to FLAC on the proper system.

I was going to use the cheaper DAC on a pi to trigger the transcoding,
but now I know that won't work :)

Sound like a plan?