s2kiwi wrote:
> I'm not sure I understand that comment on the software stack vs
> hardware...
>
> Do you meant that (ignoring the SB3) running Squeezelite on the Pi's
> means they will all appear to the server as being able to handle
> basically anything... and the Pi will handle any codec downgrading
> needed? Meaning all the other PI's will still play at the better
> quality?
>
> Or will they present the soundcard limitation back to the server and
> it'll downgrade everything.
>
> (sorry for the n00b Q's)
Ok fair question. To provide more details;

- the software (squeezelite) is the same on all the Pis so they all
offer the same file formats natively supported.
- the different hardware DACs only restricts the maximum sample rate and
bits-per-sample. I.e. 96khz/24bit. All will be more than capable of
playing CD audio uncompressed (44k/16b).

So when you sync them all LMS will find the lowest common denominator
of:
- the source file or stream's format, resolution and bitrate
- each player's supported format, resolution and bitrate.

The default is for LMS to provide the raw source to all players
unmodified, assuming that all players have told it they can play that
format, resolution and bitrate. End points won't do resampling or
transcoding, LMS will produce ONE stream for the whole group in whatever
format, resolution and bitrate drops out of the above process.

As I said, the wildcard is the SB3. Does it support MP3 or flac? I don't
remember. If not you may find LMS being forced to stream full rate PCM
audio to all players at the same time. You can do the maths on that!

Transcoded from Matt's brain by Tapatalk

--
Hardware: 3x Touch, 1x Radio, 2x Receivers, 1 HP Microserver NAS with
Debian+LMS 7.9.0