philippe_44 wrote:
> I have added sample rate and I think that as far as flac is concerned,
> we have all the information we need because flac output can be forced to
> a specific endianness, sign and it does not support floating points, so
> sox has everything it needs. There is already a few rules with flac
> outputting raw pcm, but the sample size was already missing (I’m not
> sure how things are currently handled for the flc pcm or flc aif rules.
>

> I agree there is no rush but if it works, isn’t it a more simpler
> solution and more generic than creating a format just for tidal flac
> where in addition we now prevent flac to be sent natively to players.

In 6.* & early 7.* sample size was not an issue then because it always
16 bit.  I remember dealing with those instances. PCM used to be within
LMS CD i.e. always 44.1kHz 16bits fixed etc.  There were a few rules
outputting raw pcm - remember (i) at the time there was no 96Khz /12 bot
audio and (ii) in those cases the application ffmpeg./ mplayer could do
the change to a CD format PCM.

As formats have become more varied, I was concerned that we do not have
to revisit this bit of code again in the future to add more format
option.  I do prefer a generic solution rather than a Tidal specific
one.