It does seem to be the embedded jpg that is causing the problem.  If I
run the command:

    $ ffmpeg -i f.wma -map 0:1 -f flac /tmp/o.flac

it works.  The -map 0:1 tells ffmpeg to only deal with the second
stream, as it seems to think that the embedded jpg is the first stream
(0:0).  This doesn't really work as a generic solution for the Play
Windows Media plugin, as it won't work with files without an embedded
jpg.  Also I would have thought that ffmpeg should know enough about wma
tags to realise that the embdded jpg is not a stream, it's just the
contents of a tag.  Certainly the behaviour of the ffmpeg version with
6.1 was different.  Ideally there would be an option that says deal with
audio only but I can't find one.