I have found a better option -vn "as an input option, blocks all video
streams of a file from being filtered or being automatically selected or
mapped for any output", I checked on the command line and it works.  I
then edited the PlayWMA plugin's custom-convert.conf for wma to flac
to:

    [ffmpeg] -v 0 -vn $START$ -i $PATH$ -f flac -

After restarting LMS, I am now able to play my WMA files!  I think this
change needs to be made to the Play Windows Media plugin because, as it
stands, it will not work with any WMA files with ebedded jpg's (e.g. for
album covers), at least for the version of ffmpeg provided as an
extension for pcp 7.

I do think however that this is a bug with this version of ffmpeg,
surely it should recognise wma tags and not treat embedded jpegs as a
separate video stream in the wma file?