--------------------

--------------------

> when it doesn't detect a USB card.  Do you see this message prior to
> the alasctl messages?  It should be just after the message:

  >   > Waiting for soundcard USB to populate.

Yes, in my boot log I see:

    Waiting for soundcard USB to
populate......................................... Failed to find USB (42).

I think that's something that needs fixing in pCP - I think Paul did
allude to the possibility that it's 'broken again' :)

As I mentioned though, this isn't an issue for people using a udev rule
to detect the DAC - the script called by the udev rule can deal with
restoring the alsa configuration.