coyrls wrote:
> I did post a suggested fix to issue 1) in that thread but it won't
> address your issue 2), where the sound card has yet to be detected.

Thank you - your posts in that thread are where I've learned everything
I know about this issue!

Anyone using this start/stop USB DAC script will end up with a script
being called in User Commands, and since that script will know both the
name of the DAC and whether it is available, that's a sensible place to
make a targeted 'alsactl restore $cardname' call.  Issue 2) is solved by
the whole USB DAC detection approach, and another targeted call can be
made when the DAC appears online.