I am using Bluetooth in Player mode. Streaming audio works from all my
devices, but volume control does not: I can control the volume when
playing music from an Android phone, but when using a Mac as the source,
the Mac's volume setting is ignored. I experimented a bit and found that
this is because bluetoothd was started without the --plugin=a2dp flag.
By default, it is started as /usr/local/lib/bluetooth/bluetoothd
--experimental. When I kill it and restart it as
/usr/local/lib/bluetooth/bluetoothd --experimental --plugin=a2dp, volume
control works with all my devices.

I cannot find the sources for this part of piCorePlayer anywhere, so I
can't make a patch and I am not sure how to make my fix persistent. For
now, I SSH in after every boot and restart bluetoothd with the correct
flags. It would be nice if this fix would be upstreamed.