Aidan O Driscoll schrieb:
Hi Guys,

I suppose you all know by now, TRUESPACE ( originally by Caligari, but who recently got taken over by MICROSOFT ) is now FREE - forever. This is the latest version too - last week it would have cost you $595 or so:

http://www.caligari.com/Products/trueSpace/tS75/brochure/intro.asp?Cate=BIntro

All you need to do is go to download button - login OR register ( free ) - and download.

Not alone is the app now free but also ALL the original paid for training videos.

This is not a limited offer and the app is NOT CRIPPLED. Their is no catch .. really!

From the Caligari Forums info has seeped through that over at the Blender forums ( www.blenderartists.org ) - they are complaining about TS being made free. Now thats a good one :)
Sorry, but I couldn't find any remark about it at the URL specified :(.....

But indeed - will this have any impact on the 3D industry at all? I know that some complain about TS and its interface. But it has a huge toolset, does the lot inc Char Anim, is hugely oriented to virtual world stuff and gaming.
The REAL investment in 3D software is NOT the price for the Program but in LEARNING to use it ;-).......

Apparently the app will keep on developing FOR FREE,
How's THAT ? No app can develop itself out of nothingness ... and apparently (and HERE does this qualifying adverb really fit) they did NOT publish the source or have any intention to support freelance development further on (as the Blender people do who work under the GPL / Creative Commons licence), so this seems to be a
dead end :(.....
so its not abandonware - yet. Be that as it may - this is not a free previous version - this is a free CURRENT VERSION!
As you mentioned the Blender community - I strongly encourage anybody interested in 3D programs to have a look at what a free AND supported app is capable of (look also for the latest TOM Mullen's books about char animation & particles/plants in Blender and their new SIGGRAPH contribution - the Big Buck Bunny movie)

Wolfram