Hi Wolfram.

this is the thread I think  -

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=131041

I only have this 2nd hand - it was being talked of over at the Caligari Forums.

Yes - the real investment in the software is the time learning it, I agree. But never the less with my experience of 3D apps not all apps do everything. Most projects would require a number of apps to complete. Most 3D artists these days have multiple 3D tool apps in their 3D toolbox. Over the years we may buy a number of apps. Its nice to see these apps developing with their userbase. Indeed their userbase investing in this development via purchase of plugins and upgrades. In the case of TS they threw in this curve ball without any of the past userbase knowing it was coming. So having invested all along it can come as a bit of a shock when this same apps current version suddenly becomes free for all to use.

In my statement - "Apparently the app will keep on developing FOR FREE" - you may have noticed the word APPARENTLY. Again from the caligari forums and staff at these forums this - as far as they know - is what will occur in the immediate future. But back to that word APPARENTLY - I said this as I do not believe it will. I reckon this is a stab at Google + Sketchup. In a while one will have Truespace Basic ( free / maybe crippled in some way ) and Truespace Pro ( pay for it ). This after they gather a sizeable market out of users using 7.6 for nothing for a while. Who knows - now that MICROSOFT own the app.

 "TOM Mullen's books about char animation"

Yes - I have this book, it is a very well put together book. BUT, from experience AND discussion with Tony over the following very point - It does not include any tuition on the new NLA / Character Walk Cycle Modifier procedures added at 2.45/2.46. The latter was a large leap in char anim in Blender and makes older procedures discussed in the book a little redundant. If one seeks information online re newer modifier procedures - one hits a bit of a wall - not too many people are familiar yet with new procedures in this regard.

Outside of that - I use Blender - I think it is an excellent app free or not AND do not have any problems with the Interface as some do or its development. I have used Blender in conjunction with Realsoft and Modo, mainly for Character Animation of models from these apps. In Modo's case I was able to bring the animation back via .MDD format to final Render and Texture. In RS'es case - Well In my opinion - Character Animation in RS is a fare bit behind, but thats for another day. AND no .MDD or full .FBX support - yet! ( as in RS 6 supports FBX, but APPARENTLY only for model data, not anim data )

With regard to any mention of blender in my previous email, I just mentioned it as I came across discussions on same, nothing more, nothing less - shooting the breeze!

Cheers
Aidan