I recently returned to RS3D after a couple of years, wishing I'd had time to
use it more frequently.

I was shocked at the deterioration of the community.  It was like entering a
ghost town; so many resources had vanished or been abandoned.  Even the mailing
list was silent.

Unfortunately, there's very little the community can do without Realsoft's
initiative.  I'm not abandoning the software, and keep up with upgrades.
Interestingly, there aren't any good alternatives for Linux (my preferred
platform).

It would be a real shame for this venerable software to fade away...