Hi Sylvain,

I applied the patch to the cassandra-2.0 branch (this required some manual
work since I could not figure out which commit it was supposed to apply
for, and it did not apply to the head of cassandra-2.0).

The benchmark now runs in pretty much identical time to the thrift based
benchmark. ~30s for 1000 inserts of 10000 key/value pairs each. Great work!

I still have some questions regarding the mapping. Please bear with me if
these are stupid questions. I am quite new to Cassandra.

The basic cassandra data model for a keyspace is something like this, right?

SortedMap<byte[], SortedMap<byte[], Pair<Long, byte[]>>
                 ^ row key. determines which server(s) the rest is stored on
                                             ^ column key
                                                               ^ timestamp
(latest one wins)
                                                                        ^
value (can be size 0)

So if I have a table like the one in my benchmark (using blobs)

CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS test.wide (
  time blob,
  name blob,
  value blob,
  PRIMARY KEY (time,name))
  WITH COMPACT STORAGE

>From reading http://www.datastax.com/dev/blog/thrift-to-cql3 it seems that

- time maps to the row key and name maps to the column key without any
overhead
- value directly maps to value in the model above without any prefix

is that correct, or is there some overhead involved in CQL over the raw
model as described above? If so, where exactly?

kind regards and many thanks for your help,

Rüdiger