CASSANDRA-6561 is interesting. Though having statically defined columns are
not exactly a solution to do everything in "thrift".

http://planetcassandra.org/blog/post/poking-around-with-an-idea-ranged-metadata/

Before collections or CQL existed I did some of these concepts myself.

Say you have a column family named AllMyStuff

columns named "friends_" would be a string and they would be a "Map" of
friends to age

set AllMySuff[edward][friends_bob]=34

set AllMySuff[edward][friends_sara]=33

Column name password could be a string

set AllMySuff[edward][password]='mother'

Columns named phone[00] phone[100] would be an array of phone numbers

set AllMySuff[edward][phone[00]]=555-5555'

It was quite easy for me to slice all the phone numbers

startkey: phone
endkey: phone[100]

But then every column starting with "action_xxxx" could be a page hit and i
could have thousands / ten thousands of these

In many cases CQL has nice/nicer abstractions for some of these things. But
its largest detraction for me is that I can not take this already existing
column family AllMyStuff and 'explain' it to CQL. Its a perfectly valid way
to design something, and might be (probably) is more space efficient then
the system of using composites CQL uses to pack things. I feel that as a
data access language it dictates too much schema, not only what is in row
schema, but it controls the format of the data on disk as well. Also
schema's like mine above are very valid but selecting them into a table of
fixed rows and columns does not map well.

The way hive handles tackles this problem, is that the metadata is
interpreted by a SerDe so that the physical data and the logical definition
are not coupled.