On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 12:34 PM, Linda Erlenhov
<linda.erlen...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello
> So I´m back here again.
>
> My problem now is that I don´t know how to notify.
> I looked at the solution suggested below since I thought it would be the
> easiest and best looking way to implement this.
>
> The way my first solution worked was to use Observer and Observable. Since
> Observable is a class I could not extend SimpleContext aswell (since
> multiple inheritance from classes is not ok in java) so i just "copied"
> SimpleContext instead since it only implemented two Interfaces, extended
> Observable and modifyed it according to my liking.
<snip/>

I'd do it the other way, extend the Context implementation and add
observable functionality since I claim the latter is the simpler bit
(lower case o here, not referring to the java.util class -- minimally,
(a) maintain a list of observers as an instance field, (b) have an
adder method that adds observers to the list and (c) have the notify
method in question iterate over the observers to notify them of the
value change).

> The problem then was that
> to user timers (as I was asking about in another thread) and they use JEXL.
> So to make the timers work I have to use an JEXL or JEXL extended class. And
> there goes my Observable.

<snap/>

Timers don't need JEXL, you can continue using whatever EL you were
using (extend the corresponding Context and Evaluator implementations
-- if you were in fact using Commons JEXL, you'd extend JexlContext
and JexlEvaluator and so on).

> I am aware that this might be a java question instead of a SCXML question
> and if so I apologise. Maybe you can see something that I have missed or
> help me with where I should post this question. I´ve stared a bit too long
> at my code by now. Is there another way to do this?

<snip/>

Its a bit more of a Java question than an SCXML question, yes. You
could post to any Java forums / try search engines.

-Rahul