On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 10:35 AM, Linda Erlenhov
<linda.erlen...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello again!
>
> I´m not sure how to explain what I want to do.
<snip/>

Code snippets like the ones below help.

> The task I have is to build
> an editor that you then can use to build simulations of applications. An
> application can be a cd-player for instance. What already exists is an
> editor for building GUI:s without coding (not build by me) and an engine
> that runs this and via a protocol "talks" to an application. What I´m trying
> to do is "attatch" my editor to the protocol instead of a "real life"
> application. The problem is that I´m developing this very generic. I can not
> know what kind of application the user want to simulate, the only thing I
> have to run this from is the protocol specification and in that
> specification it, for one thing,  says that I should be able to handle
> dynamic data subscriptions.
>
> In the cd-player case this could be that a track on the cd has ended and a
> new has begun, if I have an subscription for the title of the song playing I
> would then like to send it to the engine i was talking about.
>
> So if I write a datamodel like (well, I don´t, it would be generated like
> this):
> <data name=Data>
> <Title id=1 type=String>text</Title>
> <Track id=4 type=Integer>0</Track>
> </data>

<snap/>

OK. What location in the SCXML document do you generate this
datamodel? I previously suggested its easiest if this appears as child
of root (you can use the stock Contexts and Evaluators):

  http://markmail.org/message/bt3oli33cey7ecju

> and then somewhere in the scema the person who build the simulation wants
> "title" to change, this is then translated to:
>
> <assign location="Data.title" expr="oh yeah!" />
> as an example.

<snip/>

For an XML data model, its best to use the XPath Evaluator (though its
yet unreleased), where the above would look like:

  <assign location="$Data/title" expr="oh yeah!" />

Or use the Data() function with other Evaluators, see this page for details:

  http://commons.apache.org/scxml/guide/datamodel.html

Moreover, since you are in control of the generated markup, you could
generate a custom action to do the notifications for you. More on
custom actions here:

  http://commons.apache.org/scxml/guide/custom-actions.html

So, for example, instead of generating:

  <assign location="$Data/title" expr="oh yeah!" />

you could generate:

  <my:assign location="$Data/title" expr="oh yeah!" />

where custom action <my:assign> inherits from standard action <assign>
to do the extra notifications bit.

> If i want to "read" what data.title:s expression is, how do I do that?
>
> I used the:
> http://www.ling.gu.se/~lager/Labs/SCXML-Lab/
> for more examples, I´m not sure if you´re using the same standard, but it´s
> an easy way to understand how the SCXML works.

<snap/>

Same, but the expression language in use isn't the same, the XML data
model seems to be shredded into an ECMA friendly variant. Hence the
difference in the expression above.

>>  * Use a custom Context implementation - This will allow you to
>> intercept data changes, à la pointcut at
>> oacs.Context#set(String,Object), and get notifications that way
>

> This could possibly be of intrest, but I´m still not 100% sure on how the
> context works. Where would these notifications "arrive"

<snip/>

This is another approach, some background:

  http://commons.apache.org/scxml/guide/contexts-evaluators.html

I'll sketch an outline here -- say we have MyContext extending
SimpleContext where MyContext#set(String,Object) looks like:

   public void set(String name, Object value) {
      // inherit behavior
      super.set(name, value);
      // notifications you need
      notify(name, value);
   }

and a MyEvaluator extending the Evaluator you are currently using
whose newContext() method does this:

   public Context newContext(Context parent) {
      return new MyContext(parent);
   }

then using this evaluator with the SCXMLExecutor instances like so:

   SCXMLExecutor exec = new SCXMLExecutor();
   exec.setEvaluator(new MyEvaluator());

ties in the above "pointcut" behavior causing notifications for any
data changes within the state machine. Adjust outline per
requirements.

-Rahul