On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 4:49 PM, Mark Hahn <m...@elleh.com> wrote:
> What is the disadvantage to having a different design doc for each view?
>
> On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 11:05 AM, Paul Davis
> <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 1:24 PM, Mark Hahn <m...@boutiquing.com> wrote:
>>> I have noticed that all view queries are blocked for some time when I just
>>> change one view.  This seems like it is going to be a serious problem when
>>> my db grows.  Is there someway to avoid this in production?  I've never seen
>>> mysql or any other db block for any reason.
>>>

>> Also of note is that the updates are grouped at the _design/doc level,
>> so if you want to update some subset of views individually you just
>> need to split them amongst a set of _design/docs. There's also a
>> scheme that lets you create a temporary _design/doc that can be moved
>> over top of the existing version to have quickly updated views, but
>> this approach requires you to have the disk capacity to have both
>> versions built on disk simultaneously.

Slightly more disk space used and longer total view build times due to
overhead of passing each doc to the view engine multiple times. Though
you can build multiple view groups in parallel if you have the CPU
resources.

Its hard to say exactly what the difference for each bit would be as
it depends directly on your specific data and usage patterns.