Can some please direct me to where this behavior is documented?  I
just went over the technical description again and this is not
mentioned there.  Here is the closest thing I could find and it
doesn't seem to agree with my experience. (From
http://couchdb.apache.org/docs/overview.html).

"CouchDB’s core design is largely optimized around the need for
efficient, incremental creation of views and their indexes."

What is "incremental" about blocking everything for a long time while
views/indexes are created?

I don't mean to be bitchy, and I am sure I will be able to use one of
the many suggestions to ameliorate this problem, but I should not have
to be in production after months of development before discovering
this.

--
Mark Hahn
Website Manager