On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 8:28 PM, Andrew Stuart (SuperCoders)
<andrew.stu...@supercoders.com.au> wrote:
> This one seems hard to believe - is it true that CouchDB blocks the server
> whilst updating views?
>
> View updates can be alot of work for a server.
>
> So in reality, queries to the server pause whilst views are updated?
>
> This doesn't seem practical for any production usage.

See this blog:
http://labs.mudynamics.com/2011/03/10/blitzio-couchdb-in-production/

As long as you have a worker of sorts that watches the _changes feed
to "catch up" on the index, things work great. Just like any other
piece of software, you have to have some understanding how CouchDB
works internally. There is a stale=ok view query which will get you
the older revisions so your UI doesn't block at all.

> Can someone confirm that this is true, that during production a server will
> block whilst views are updated?

See above. :) Yes, couch doesn't do background view indexing, though I
tend to agree that if there was an Erlang task of sorts that did this
automatically, end users can relax even more.

> Does anyone else see this as a major issue or am I missing something? I'm
> happy to say I have missed the point many times before :-)
>
> I'm with Mark - I can't think of any other type of modern server that stops
> processing to get something else done.

K.
---
http://blitz.io