On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 8:51 PM, Andrew Stuart (SuperCoders)
<andrew.stu...@supercoders.com.au> wrote:
> Say I put 100,000 documents into a production database.  Is that database
> usable whilst the views are updated to include those new documents?

The recommended way is to add a new design/view (with the change) have
CouchDB take its time to index it and then switch over to this view.
This way the existing views are super fast and nothing gets blocked.
I'm sure this is in the wiki or the book.

And yes, the rest of the views are happily available without blocking
while this particular new view is "catching up".

> What exactly is blocked and under what circumstances?

Only the access to the new view which is getting indexed. Nothing else blocks.

K.
---
http://blitz.io
http://twitter.com/pcapr