Hello Aljoscha <aljos...@apache.org>,

You mentioned: '.. Yes, this is right if you temperatures don’t have any
other field on which you could partition them. '.

What I am failing to understand is that if temperatures are partitioned on
some other field (in my use-case, I have one such: the
temp_reading_timestamp), they will be pushed to different nodes (different
threads in local run) based on that field. Because they will be computed
(scattered) and later collected (gathered), how could I arrive at the
_running_ average temperature? The client application needs to know *how
the average temperature is changing over time'.

Could you please fill in the gap in my understanding?

-- Nirmalya

--
Software Technologist
http://www.linkedin.com/in/nirmalyasengupta