Hi Kevan,

I tried the deployment a few more times with different settings. I also reduced the content, so we are talking now only about JSP files and a few GIFs (in numbers something about 12000 files with 900 being GIFs) Basically, the deployment with all the content on my local disk took 4:42 minutes which is about one minute longer than in our working tomcat environment.

Then I tried again with the content being on the NFS share. With the network monitor applet in Gnome I can see that a lot of network traffic is going on. I also configured log4j to be in debug mode for the server and the deployer (don´t know actually, why I did not do this before :( ) but there was not very much more information. But two things got my attention:

Right after the startup of the server I can see the following line in the geronimo.log: 2009-05-06 07:55:49,240 DEBUG [DirectoryHotDeployer] Initialization complete; directory scanner entering normal scan mode I guess, this is the task that is checking the deploy folder on a regular basis for new applications?

After starting the deployment I saw the network traffic and almost no cpu usage. Something around 1GB went over the wire until something more happened. Then the deploy.log showed this line: 2009-05-06 08:16:48,560 DEBUG [JspModuleBuilderExtension] scanModule( de.is24/Scout3/1.0/car ): Entry

And again, about 300MG network traffic was done. After done the application started. The overall time was 33:04 minutes.

After that I tried without the inPlace option. This took even longer. After 44:30 minutes the deployment stopped reporting that the sum file already exists. Maybe there was something left from the previous deployment but you can clearly see, that it takes much longer and the network traffic was somewhere beyond 2GB.

I am currently evaluating if Geronimo could be our next application container and this is the blocker since we need to be able to integrate it into the development process and obviously it is not acceptable for a developer to wait half an hour for the deployment and start of the application.

Greets,
Patrick