On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 11:28 AM, Ted Dunning <tdunn...@maprtech.com> wrote:
> I am very sympathetic here.  Also, somewhat linguistically challenged on
> this point since there is a fine line to be walked.  All suggestions are
> welcome.

Understood.  I'm afraid I'm not known for finesse so its hard to
advise navigating the contours of the fine line.  Usually you are good
at it.

> How should I answer this?  The question was "how can I get alerts for my
> hbase cluster"?

Well, on this list I'd think that folks are asking primarily about
what open source alternatives exist.  Once this topic has been
exhausted -- the list is short I think when it comes to this
particular question -- then alternative proprietaries might be
floated.

I felt you deserved the yellow card because the first response out the
gate was '(Slightly) off topic' and could be read as a plug for a
commercial product.

> Another answer that I want to underscore is "MapR supports Hbase.  A lot."

I know this.  And MapR+HBase makes for a sweet story (I'll not go on
-- someone might pull the yellow card on me).  Can we get the word out
else-wise than as plug-looking messages on this list (I'd like to help
if I can).  Its my sense that such messages rub readers of this list
the wrong way and might be held against you.

Good on you Ted,
St.Ack