It seems this is going to have to be something that is a judgment call. It will be hard to define exactly when you should or shouldn't mention something. The general principle is that the ASF option should always be touted first, followed by any other OSS / free options, then if no other options exist the commercial software. I think Ted understood this when he started his email "Slightly off topic..."

If Ted had answered the post along the lines of (I ganked the reply from Joey):

    Hadoop and HBase are pretty monitoring tool agnostic. It does provide
    a number of metrics via JMX and a REST interface which you can tie
    into the monitoring tool of your choice.

    Ted

    p.s. If you are using MapR it will do this for you out of the box.

I don't think any of us would be having this conversion right now. The email would have promoted the ASF, OSS option that is available to everyone. Also I wouldn't have a problem with the small reference to MapR as it has a unique out of the box solution not available with the ASF release. For the same reason I don't mind references to CDH3 for the hadoop append branch as it a solution not found in an ASF release.

My 2 cents,
~Jeff

"If we have data we'll use data, if we have opinions we'll use mine."