OK, it's a not bad thing, and that shows git growing with the times,
my knowledge about this point growing 2:)

There still have another aspect:
source argument of git-mv  command must existed.
In java  env, refactoring is more common, and IDE maybe not git aware,
if so the IDE refactoring will kill the operation.
So the follow option maybe not really option.
if hg, user can let IDE do rename/move refactor, and do repository
operation by self.
Please care, at the point, the source not existed.

致敬
向雅