Awesome.  Really forking awesome.

-----Original Message-----
From: user-boun...@lists.neo4j.org [mailto:user-boun...@lists.neo4j.org] On
Behalf Of Tobias Ivarsson
Sent: Thursday, January 27, 2011 10:05 AM
To: Neo4j user discussions
Subject: Re: [Neo4j] Neo4j is moving to git

The general idea on forks is that they will be forks, not branches. I.e.
they will live in a different location as a fork, not as branches in the
same repository.

We are going to continue managing dependencies with maven, so no dependency
jars will ever be checked in in the repositories.

We are going to have more than one git repository, the plan is to have one
per releasable "product". This means that things in one repo will have the
same release cycle. The initial repositories are quite likely going to be:
* Embedded, containing these current components:
  - kernel
  - lucene-index
  - ha
  - management
  - udc
  - graph-algo
* Server, containing the Neo4j server
Then a separate repository for each Neo4j tool: Neoclipse and Neo4j shell

Part of the exercise tomorrow is going to be to make sure that it is
possible to work with the code on Windows since we are going to put more
efforts into Windows stability of Neo4j in the future.

CR/LF is going to be managed by the repository, as Toni has already
mentioned is a possibility.

Cheers,
Tobias

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 3:46 PM, Rick Bullotta <
rick.bullo...@burningskysoftware.com> wrote:

> Yep - I know there are settings.  We all just gotta use 'em consistently.
> ;-)
>
> I'm also aware of the Git benefits, which are awesome. Just raising the
> alert that if the repository grows to 40GB with a million forks and a
> zillion copies of dependent jars, well, you get the idea...!
>
> And believe me, the moment Atlassian offers comprehensive Git support,
> we'll
> be making the switch completely!
>
> It's all good, just suggesting we be cognizant of the things that are
> different in Git.

TARs