a tip for the windows-users:
i have tested http://code.google.com/p/tortoisegit/ for windows about a year
ago - if you ever have to use windows and have no ide with a git-scm support -
it maybe helpfull.
(anybody uses windows by choice here?)

there is no need to make snapshot-tars available. in github you could download
the sourcetree for each commit as tar.gz (or zip) archive.
of course there have to be some tags or branches to get the right version. the
maven-release plugin helps much doing this (i think tobias is aware of that)

the move to git is really great and makes it now much more easy to contribute.

cheers thomas