Rick,
I think adding a "node type" to neo4j is not a good idea. Different
applications have different typing needs.

My own application for example, supports multiple "node types" per node, while
"node types" can be subtyped as well.
This creates a forest of types for each node, that needs to be traversed each
time the typing information of a node is requested.
Morever the INSTANCE_OF relationships are stored as and Indexed Relationship
(https://github.com/peterneubauer/graph-collections/tree/master/src/main/java/org/neo4j/collections/indexedrelationship),

because certain types can have millions of instances.
I am certain that such a typing construct is not everybody's cup of tea and I
wouldn't want to see it formally supported in core.
Neither would I want to see support for typing constructs other than the one I
use.
Being a schemaless database is one of the strengths of Neo4J, and typing
shouldn't become part of the core distribution.That said, there are good
reasons to create different typing libraries as a layer on top of Neo4J, the
meta model component,
though in need of some attention, is one such layer.
For auto-indexing purposes, I would much rather see the addition of an
installable call back function that takes:the node, the key, the value and the
index as input and returns the value to be indexed or null if no indexing
should take place.
Niels