On Jan 20, 2011, at 11:08 PM, Adrian Crum wrote:

> --- On Thu, 1/20/11, David E Jones <d...@me.com> wrote:
>> On Jan 20, 2011, at 10:52 PM, Adrian Crum wrote:
>>
>>> Two new projects were started - OpenTaps and Moqui.
>>>
>>> Speaking personally (and I stress personally - I'm not
>> speaking on behalf of the OFBiz community) that sort of
>> thing is counter-productive. I know the authors of both of
>> those projects and I consider them friends. I'm also very
>> familiar with the projects themselves.
>>>
>>> It's easy to just scrap existing code (or an
>> established community) in frustration and start another
>> project. It's hard to find a migration path that continues
>> to embrace new technologies without causing undue hardship
>> on the existing installed base.
>>>
>>> It would be better if we could find a middle ground -
>> a compromise - that keeps the talent and innovation in a
>> single project, instead of scattering it into competing
>> projects.
>>
>> Do you really think that is the best idea? Isn't one of the
>> problems with OFBiz that everything is in one big pot, but
>> not all users want the same thing, and so there are constant
>> fights about what should go into the single pot?
>>
>> Maybe it would be better if there were a stable framework
>> and a bunch of separate "pots" sitting on top of it that
>> address different audiences and are driven by different
>> groups with different needs/wants? That would apply to
>> different themes, different UIs, different business domains,
>> etc.
>
> That sounds wonderful! Why not do it in a project that has been around for 10
> years and has a considerable user base and developer base?
>
> OFBiz and your vision are not mutually exclusive.

In a way they are. The whole point is to not have anything like a single
project. There would be a framework project, and a data model project, and then
everything else (themes, applications, reusable elements for use in
applications, etc, etc) would all be separate projects.

The point is to grow an ecosystem on a strong foundation and encourage people
to do there own thing in separate projects that easily work with others built
on the same foundation.

The point is to avoid the "Tragedy of the Commons"
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tragedy_of_the_commons), which is something that
OFBiz suffers from a lot and without splitting the project into dozens of small
parts I don't think it can be avoided. The mentality of going to one place to
get everything I need or want is just not realistic and results in the tragedy
of the commons.

-David