Before saying anything else, let me clarify that I don't disagree with this
sentiment.

The big question seems to be what is the "clue" that everyone wishes the PMC
has?

Personally, I now disagree with the whole model and doubt any redemption for
it. Even if there were perfect people on the PMC (which is clearly impossible,
and the current PMC is mostly made up of attempts to do anything to get as many
people involved as possible): when there is no design to implement to and the
scope is not very narrowly defined it is impossible to keep everyone happy.
That's why most ASF projects are not like OFBiz with broad scope and business
focus and a lot of design to be done, they are generally implementations of
public specifications.

Is that the clue?

Maybe a better question is: what is the dream world people think they are going
to find here?

Why is anyone surprised?

Well, for those interested the model I'm going for now is quite different, see
the "Model: License? Resources?" section on the www.moqui.org web site.

That said, I mentioned above that I don't disagree with the sentiment. However,
I think it is presented in a piss poor way by everyone who is acting like a
whining little child here. Get a life. If it's a big deal to you then solve the
problem and stop complaining and whining. Get a grip on reality. There are all
sorts of things you could do about this that don't require trying to push the
project. Anyone could grab the old theme and post it to any of dozens of free
hosting places, or just on a wiki page or Jira issue. People could even
collaborate to reduce the burden on any individual. This isn't rocket science.

This is what is so ridiculous. Almost no one cares about handling general needs
over specific ones and keeping things flexible. Almost no one cares about what
anyone else needs. And why should it be any different? Those who think things
should be a certain or another just want a free ride and won't lift a finger
beyond childish complaints and personal attacks to get anything done. This sort
of situation is EXACTLY what should be expected in this model.

Still, there are solutions to all of this and rewards for those creative and
hard-working enough to get them done. There is pretty much always a solution
once the real problem is confessed. There's also a market out there for pretty
much anything related to this, since currently there aren't many people using
some sort of violence to stop any of this. That's the beauty of the real world.

-David