On Jan 20, 2011, at 10:30 PM, Brian Topping wrote:

> On Jan 20, 2011, at 9:02 PM, Adrian Crum wrote:
>
>> --- On Thu, 1/20/11, David E Jones <d...@me.com> wrote:
>>> What the project needs is cutoff points at major revision
>>> releases after which attempts at backward compatibility are
>>> totally abandoned in favor of making something better.
>>
>> Why don't we discuss that further? Perhaps in a new thread?
>
> Naive question, but has it ever been considered to put the existing system in
> legacy mode and start a new project?  One of the attractive aspects of OFBiz
> is it's very comprehensive.  One of the difficult aspects is it doesn't take
> advantage of any recent packaging technologies like Spring or OSGi or
> presentation technologies that would work well with recent browser
> capabilities.  I can't imagine that the optimal solution remains one that was
> architected before any of these technologies were mature.

When you say this do you mean to start over and rebuild the OFBiz
business/application functionality on an existing full-featured framework (or
as close as current frameworks come to that...) like the JBoss Seam stack?

Or do you mean to create a new framework using some of the newer tools that are
available? If so, could you be more specific about the tools you'd like to you?
You mentioned presentation technologies, which ones do you like?

In a way I'm doing something that might be like what you are suggesting
(depending on details of what you had in mind). Right now there is no framework
that uses the same concepts and design goals as the OFBiz Framework, but there
are many new tools it could use and many cleanups and redesigns the framework
could use, so I have started a new framework project called Moqui
(www.moqui.org) that is a refresh of the OFBiz Framework as a stand-alone
package (and it uses Groovy a LOT as the default language for expressions, XML
actions are translated to Groovy, and the framework itself is implemented in
Groovy).

Once that is further along I plan to start a _separate_ project that has a data
model and some basic business services. And once that is further along I plan
to start, or work with others to start, a series of domain-specific application
projects that are all build on the same data model and framework, and can share
data with other applications and run in the same container and so on.

Anyway... in spite of actions in that direction I'd be interested in seeing
more thoughts that people have on the topic.

-David