Good question.

I had to do exactly that once for our demos when I crossed this not obvious bug
http://bugs.java.com/view_bug.do?bug_id=6973402
I then mostly used https://eclipse.org/mat/

I since then also used the more complete https://www.yourkit.com/
As an ASF committer you have few privileges. Like sometimes free access to some
tools, when you ask, it's not automatic.

Jacques