Sorry Michael, i wasn't ignoring you.  you must've responded to each
of my responses to the others. :)

the original problem was that i have to add a product to the database.
when the user clicks the initial add button they are taken to a page
that has three links on it.

Add Member Product

Add NonMmeber Product

Add Product via Search

this intermediary page is a form that also contains three hidden
fields.  first is productType (member, nonmember or search)  the other
two fields contain values relating to the customer passed from the
looking at the source for the current page with the three links on it
reveals that the two hidden values from the previous page are set and
the third, prodType, is blank.  when the user clicks on one of the
three links a small javascript function populates the third hidden
field, prodType, before submitting the form.  in my actionform and
action i see the prodType but not the other two customer variables
that were on the form.

so i need to be give the customer the ability to add a new product to
the database.  there are three different types of products that can be
added and the type needs to be determined up front so the customer can
be directed to the appropriate form/page.  hyperlinks were preferred
to multiple submit buttons.  and radio buttons with a single submit
button were ruled out.

to turn this back into a Struts related issue... :)
i'm a Struts newbie.  and while playing around with this situation i
wasn't seeing my values getting populated in my actionform.  i figured
it had to do with the way i set up my Struts tags, <html:link>, and
their parameters.
so in the Struts world, is there a way to submit a form using a
hyperlink without using javascript?

i know this comes down to poor design and basic web application
functionality.  so i apologize that this has been drawn out.
thank you all for being patient and helpful.

andy