if it's called then there is something wrong with the comparison, are you
sure that you don't have a String getStatus somewhere?
What I would do is instead of checking the == 1 in the jsp create a method
on the certificate boolean isValid() { return status==1} and so on.

I know it doesn't answer your original question but it solves the problem
and it's more maintenable IMHO.

Antonios