> Any chance the WF10-problem could also be a configuration error on my end?

I think so.

> So my question is basically: do you see the same NPE when connecting to
WF-10.1.0

No.  I don't see the NPE when using Wildfly 10.1.0.Final.  I used the same
config as before, but included the Netty MQTT codec JAR since the version
of Netty shipped with Wildfly 10.1.0.Final doesn't include it by default.
It works from MQTTBox using the "mqtt / tcp" protocol, but not the "ws"
protocol.  I'm not sure what the issue there is, but I assume it's related
to a problem with the MQTT implementation in Artemis 1.1.  It works fine
with both protocols in Artemis 1.5.5 in Wildfly 11.0.0.CR1.

Justin