Thanks for the quick reply!

For a more specific question, it looks like BrokerService is used
throughout the application, as well as the active-mq-initializer bean from
activeMQ.
To clarify, I inherited this project from other developers who are long
gone. I started working on this because I briefly worked on a message queue
system before.