On Tue, Nov 25, 2014 at 8:42 AM, Sebastien Goasguen <run...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Nov 24, 2014, at 4:03 PM, Andrei Mikhailovsky <and...@arhont.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Yes, agree! Proper snapshotting is a must and an essential part of the
> cloud in my world. Having this feature broken in KVM for many years is a
> big blow to CloudStack in my opinion.
> >
> > I am already seeing on blogs and mailing lists people switching to
> OpenStack because of this problem.

there are many aspects of which cloustack is loosing ground fast to
openstack. Even Ive moved away from CS due to deficiencies such as the NFS
as secondary being required, vague support for open source SDN such as
opendaylight, is another
while CS is nice and quite easy to install, and get working, and being a
big XEN fan, CS made it clean and simply to deploy, however, it does lack
some of the higher end features and configuration aspects that are found in
openstack. Now while I
also find openstack to be very KVM aligned, as it requires a client be
installed on XEN, where CS doesnt, Openstack has moved well ahead in
storage and networking options, not boxing me in to high cost commercial
solutions. I will credit CS people
for great support in the past years over IRC, though lately even that seems
waning, as as such there also seems to be more "commercial" support for
openstack with the likes of mirantis, ibm, hp and others pushing turn key
distros, open source some at that.
I did love the simplicity of CS and XEN as a configuration, but felt the
lacking in areas of "integration" with other technologies. Even openstack
is working to integrate the freeIpa system, and opendaylight into the
options, and it works well with ceph, gluster,
and other storage systems. CS is simple, and in being that, they are
loosing ground fast to the expansive capabilities openstack is offering
with their latest release. I wish CS would expand their horizons a bit, and
not appear so short sighted and narrow minded
when it came to its offerings and integration. I know if I was running the
product line currently I would be aligning CS with all the technologies
becoming available, especially Software defined networking, and software
defined storage. CS is great, but requires
a larger feature set, more integration and further vision on trending
technologies, yet it is just damn simple to install CS and XEN...... a big
win there for CS, though Fuel and Helion appear to be quickly closing that
gap.