I fully agree that the needs of users are seldom the same. So if we're
talking an experienced user I'd say a bunch of examples on all possible
ways is ok.

But this topic, as I understand it, is focussed on starting users. So I
think that it's not so much important how many examples and ways are shown,
but more that those ways are documented. And the differences between the
various methodologies is explained.

For a newby, a 1000 line example with a 1 line explanation is not that
usefull, for someone familiar with cocoon it can be a revalation.

Which is why I think a combination between A and B is best; identify
some common cases (Antonio just did that:) and document a recommended
way for those, or maybe even two possible ways with a reference to each
other and a few lines in which the difference between the methods (when and
why to prefer X to Y, and when not).

As an example (shamelessly stolen and adapted from this list):
1. Complex SQL data structures/queries: O/R
2. Simple, Updates, Inserts (and selects), Flowscript
3. Simple Select-only: XSP and ESQL
(I'm not saying the above is an absolute truth, but it makes sense to
 me - and it's an example).

And a well-documented, Wiki'd example of all three cases would be sufficient
to give starting users a good idea of the various database-access technologies
in Cocoon. And who doesn't use a database in one way or the other? :)

Leon

Antonio Gallardo wrote:
David Leangen dijo:

[  ]  A. I think that we should show users the "best" way
         to get up and running with Cocoon.

[ X ] B. I think that we should show users all the options

possible and let them decide the best approach.

[  ]  C. Yeah, whatever. Either way is good for me.
         Peace, man!

Because we cannot have a one size shirt for all people ie:

If someone need Cocoon as:

1- a publisher framework + 1 feedback form + 1 host book (or whatever).
2- a webapp framework for a small-medium size company
3- a webapp framework for a medium-large (enterprise) size company
.... etc.

Then you can make diferents configurations and the best practices are
diferent for each one. Some questions are in place before choosing the
right tools:

What if the user already have implemented or want to use J2EE?
What if there is already some work on PHP?
Will be the application scalable or not?
How easy the scalability will be?
Will be deployed on an Application server or just on a Servlet container?
....And we can continue puting question on the list.

From  a 1 server bundle all to a full distributed system using J2EE. Then
the question is:

"What is the best practices at all?"

I prefer to see Cocoon as is on the Website:

"web glue for your web application development needs"

That is Cocoon and every one can use it as he need.

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo