I started using Cocoon about a year ago now, just a little before Derek
Hohls. Even then, we were discussing the Cocoon doc.

For example:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-users&m=108365757316657&w=2

I've been out of the project now for several months due to other
obligations, but I'll be back very soon.

Anyway, my 2 Yen based on previous experience is that Cocoon is too far
advanced and has therefore built up a lot of momentum, for better and for
worse. There would have to be a lot of effort to make any major changes to
the documentation. These efforts would be very time consuming due to all the
interests involved with so many good people in the project.

Derek's idea about outsourcing this is good, but (1) I'm not sure how
something like this could be financed and (2) it doesn't solve the problem
of getting agreement from all the various parties as to what the final
product should be.

So, to hopefully get this accomplished in practice, my suggestion would be
to start a new project (or maybe a Cocoon subproject), with fresh people who
are motivated by this idea and who aren't subject to veto (whether actually
or just by mere suggestion) by the "traditional" members. That way, I think
everybody would be happy.

On the one hand, it will be an opportunity to try something new. The people
involved in the new documentation project will have the freedom to make the
decisions they want and structure the documentation however they want, right
from the ground up.

On the other hand, they won't be stepping on anybody's toes. The more
established members who have been putting countless hours into the project,
who know this baby almost bit by bit, don't have to worry about things going
the wrong way because it doesn't _directly_ touch the Cocoon stuff. If later
they feel that the new doc is working out, then they can think about
integrating it into the main Cocoon project, but there would be no
obligation to do so.

But then again, this is a huge project and would require some very dedicated
people who, as Derek pointed out, have the skill set to accomplish this. I'm
not sure if these people actually exist...

Not sure if I'm making myself clear, but I'm interested in hearing others'
thoughts on this approach.

In any case, if somebody (Derek??) has the motivation to go ahead and take
the lead with this, I'd certainly be willing to participate. I've done a few
documentation projects, so I could help contribute some ideas and direction
to the process.

Dave