Askild

My skills are similar to yours... but, I have not seen any
documents or examples that deal with the creation of a
full-fledged DB app that only uses  XSLT, XML, SQL-transformer
and Flow/CForms.  I'd be very happy if you can point me in the
right direction.

Thanks.

P.S.  XSP is *not* deprecated (see other threads for this).

Derek Hohls wrote:

>Tom
>
>Ok; that is one viewpoint.  But I think these quotes from the Wiki:
>http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/GettingStartedWithCocoonAndHibernate
>are also pertinent:
>
>"Be aware that you will not be ready to write Hibernate-based applications
>in 5 minutes. You are about to venture into a complex topic. Sit back, get a
>cup of tea and prepare for some **days** of reading and learning.
>The following skills are mandatory:
>You need to be proficient in Java..."
>
>I did spend a fair chunk of last year downloading and days reading through
>the Hibernate documents - they do seem fairly comprehensive and
>well-written... but they are not simple or straightforward.  And for
>someone like myself, with skills in XML, XSLT, Javascript, SQL... all of
>which have been more than sufficient to develop webapps with Cocoon over
>the past few - the add-in of high-level Java skills to the mix is a really
>"gotcha"
>that significantly raises the learning barrier here.
>
>So to rephrase my original point - is this the only way to develop interactive
>database webapps with Cocoon - or should PHP start looking like an attractive
>option once more?!

It's the "only" way if your skills are in Java only... ;-)

The Cocoon-community seems divided in two different camps; one that use
it as a Java-development framework, and another that uses it as an
XML-development framework.

I myself belong to the second, using only XML, XSLT, transformers (e.g.
SQL), XSP (e.q. ESQL) and Flow. A lot of people will point my finger at
me shouting "bad practice", XSP is deprecated! The original idea behind
XSP was to have an efficient way to prototype/script generators, but
having been misused for "control" in the MVC-pattern, some looks at XSP
itself as bad design...

So, sitemaps, XSLT, XML, SQL-transformer and optionaly Flow will get you
a long way to develop yout interactive database wepabb. Used in the
right manner, it works - brilliantly!

In the end it's your ability to design a good architechture that saves
the day, not a lot of fancy tools and frameworks.

Askild
-