Yes, he does, though I disagree on some of the finer points e.g
Cocoon is not a "leading edge" application any more and, no, its
not always "intuitive" (such a fuzzy and subjective term); simply
because a number of its concepts differ sharply from many other
web development frameworks.  I would also not suggest to rewrite
the existing examples - waaaay too much work! - but simply to add
"template" applications which each standalone and can be repurposed
or extended to users' specific needs.  Some input from the community
would help rapidly identify good case studies.

To my mind - and this reflects my experience in the workplace - as
well
as other 'voluntary' organisations - nothing actually happens without a

champion to drive it.  That person has a passion for the task at hand,

and  sees it through to completion.

In this case, such a champion would have to have a good working
knowledge of Cocoon (although not necessarily as a developer), with
strong English writing and conceptual skills.  This person would need
to look at synthesising all the docs on the wiki and on the
main/official
site.  Older stuff needs to be carefully hidden away and deprecated
stuff marked clearly as such.  Links to key outside resources (e.g.
tutorials or introductory articles) could also be gathered in one
place and annotated as needed.  A "one stop Cocoon shop".

I would actually suggest that the project adopts one single platform
for its documentation and this would likely have to be a wiki.  The
advantages of this are:
* reduce scatter and "where do I find this?" syndrome
* ability to do very rapid updates
* allow only developer access to key pages, while still letting users
add their own - *anyone* can add comments on "discussion" tabs
and this will help the official pages to be brought up to speed. (It
would be cool if "official" pages could be colour coded in some
way to highlight them...)

[Side note:  I have a feeling that wiki design has evolved since the
Cocoon wiki was chosen.  While its adequate for the basics, many
other software projects have chosen the wikipedia-style wiki as it
allows for a lot of extra flexibility and options eg. navigation;
ability
to have discussions on each page; categories etc.]

>>> Jonathan Hipkiss <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 2007/05/30 11:48:29 PM

I think Fergus has it spot on here.

Most developers operate by first copying another example of something
that works, then they modify it to their own use.

As a fall back, complete technical documentation of the technology is
then needed to detail how it operates and what its syntax, grammar etc.
are.

Lastly, for the more complex techniques it can be useful if a very
simple example is shown in a step by step approach to grasp the
concepts
before delving into the deeper "all sing all dancing" examples.

Jonathan

views of the CSIR.

CSIR E-mail Legal Notice

CSIR Copyright, Terms and Conditions