Huib, I have to follow up your solution to my problem:

your solution to call,

    <dependency>
>             <groupId>org.apache.cocoon</groupId>
>             <artifactId>cocoon-validation-impl</artifactId>
>             <version>1.0.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
>         </dependency>

.. worked fine for a few days, and over a number of builds. Then suddenly
maven said it could not locate the validation impl snapshot. The validation
impl is in my local repo @ ~/.m2, but it is still not building. I have been
trying different repos, editing maven's settings.xml file, flushing the
local repo, but to no avail.

Are you pulling the dependency from the default repo,
http://repo2.maven.org/maven2/?
Do you specify another repo for it anywhere?

Thanks,
- Myles
FIMM, Helsinki