Steve, you are correct, the LO 3.3.2 does not work well with my network drive
on Ubuntu 11.04. I have tried to install OOo on this machine through the
Software center, but it always installs LO instead (even after removing LO),
so I have not been able to test if there is a difference between OOo and LO
on this machine. I do see OOo listed in the package manager, but it is not
installed and I am not sure how to go about installing OOo through the
package manager. I did select everything with "LibreOffice" in its name and
used "Fix broken links" as suggested above. No luck, still does not work.
For kicks I installed KOffice, and it does work fine with with the network
drive. Can't say I like the look of KOffice though, and I am more
comfortable with OOo and LO.

Also you are correct” OOo works fine on a very old mac based Ubuntu 10.04. I
tried to install LO on this but I just got a bunch of error messages about
the wrong system architecture (the G4 is powerpc based, and Libreoffice
seems to require pentium based pc).

I have an older laptop with a blank hard drive that I will attempt to
install earlier versions of unbuntu with the older OO and see what happens.

Might take a couple of days though.