I see the same "General-on save/nothing on open" behavior with LO3.4
trying to directly read/write to a Synology NAS:

* Fedora 14 64-bit, wired connection
* Fedora 15 32-bit, wireless connection

Double-clicking on the remote ODT file from Nautilous works - the doc
opens in LO. And, changing the doc so opened and saving it from inside
LO works fine - the doc on the NAS is updated (and verified by opening
it from the other machine).

--
  Wayne