On Sat, 2012-02-11 at 07:10 -0800, Pedro wrote:
> drewjensen wrote
> >
> > PDF is just another throw back to printing on dead trees in this regard,
> > where the creator of the file sets the size of the layout when the file
> > is generated.
> >
> > This has additional implications, such as page counts and the use of
> > page numbers in a table of contents and index,
> >

> That is a little unfair on PDF! PDF is excellent for archiving documents as
> IF they were printed. It saves on trees and it saves on disk space (compared
> to digitized images of documents).

Hi Pedro,

1st - if we continue this, and I would not mind at all, how about we
kick it over to the discuss list?

But for the moment.

So we are in agreement - PDF does a great job of replicating the printed
page.

> The fixed page size and numbering is extremely important when you are
> referring to some portion of a document. It doesn't make sense to say, "in
> the third paragraph of page 20" and then because the text was re-flowed to
> fit in a 3" screen that paragraph is in page 100...

Well, stop thinking that way (hey didn't I adomish against such
statement in a recent email...ah humans we are all schytzoid)...

Instead of saying "see the scratch mark on tablet 4", use a hyperlink.
It will be just as valid when the pages flow differently on different
devices.

> Another big advantage of PDF (when loaded in a PC, Win or Linux, and
> probably on a Mac) is that you can embed the fonts so you know your page
> will look *exactly* like you designed it. Apparently this does not work in a
> Kindle, so it is expected that they will look different because fonts are
> being replaced (as in an epub)

Yup - embedded fonts = hard coding.

I'm not saying there is no place for PDF and it's like just that there
are other ways to view the world, the new world.

// drew