Hi :)
Thanks :)  So the data itself is stored inside the Base file.  There is only 1
file.  Base is not just the front-end connecting you to an external back-end
with the data in it.  Like it would be if using MS Access instead of LO Base.

It's the way i would have approached Base before reading a lot of the comments
on this list that suggest having the data in a separate back-end is much, much
better.  At the moment i am a bit perplexed about how to use Base but it
'should' be possible to just add an exra field,especially a primary key!  I'm
just not sure how to do so.  I tried looking it up in the Faq
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Faq/Base/009
but that didn't seem aprticularly helpful!  The main page of the Faq is here
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Faq#Base
There is an introduction to Base in the Getting Started Guide
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Publications
but only the 1st chapter is done for the main guide
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Publications#LibreOffice_Base_Guide

Hopefully one of the database experts will be able to help you soon.
Apols and regards from
Tom :)