On 10/06/2013 11:06 AM, James Knott wrote:
> Kracked_P_P---webmaster wrote:
>> It was really "nice" of Windows to stop allowing me to boot into Ubuntu
>> after I upgraded from Vista to Win7.  I had to use a boot "fixer" disc
>> to give me back my Ubuntu.  At least that laptop is the one I use only
>> once in a while, since I have a small drive in it, compared to my other one.
> I have never had a problem with not being able to access Linux when
> Windows is on the system.  Windows installs will always break the boot
> loader, so you have to be prepared to deal with that.  However,
> reinstalling Windows from the DVDs has never trashed Linux, though I
> have heard some recovery discs will.  So, as a rule, unless I have no
> alternative, I install Windows first and then Linux.  With my ThinkPad
> E520, the first thing I did was to build the recovery DVDs and then used
> the Windows tools to shrink the partition, to make room for the Linux
> install.  I have not had to reinstall Windows 7 since then.  On my old
> ThinkPad, I did reinstall from DVD, but it did not touch the Linux
> partitions, only the boot loader.

It was the upgrading [overwriting with new install] from Vista 32-bit to
Win7 Pro 64-bit that messed with GRUB.

I had my Ubuntu installed like I like it and did not want to wipe the
entire drive for the Vista to Win7 "upgrading".  It takes a lot of work
to install Ubuntu 12.04, plus MATE d.e., and all of the packages I want
and setting up all of the printers and such just like it was before.
Then there are the endless amounts of updates that Ubuntu would do.  So
I really do not like to wipe the drive just to install the newer version
of Windows.

At least it was not setting up my main desktop.  When I replaced a bad
primary drive [/sda], it took over 15 hours to install, tweak, etc. all
of the packages, plus all of the files back from backups and STILL I am
finding that I missed a tweak or package.