Hi :)
As James said it might well be better to make a separate partition for your
/home.  It's easier to do that during the install process but this link can be
handy if you want to try this post-install.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Partitioning/Home/Moving
If the way you are doing it keeps working then you might as well stick to that
but thee are other advantages to having a separate /home

The way Don is doing it doesn't work for a very few programs (such as Evolution
(an alternative to Thunderbird&Lightning)) but does work for almost all afaik.
I used to do the same thing but since 2010 the upgrade process has been really,
really smooth so i have often gone for that instead now.  I do occasionally do
a fresh install onto the same machine but that is for other reasons (such as
testing or just to get more practice or because my fiddling around has broken
something i don't know how to fix and then want it back the way it was before i
started fiddling).

I've even found that i can do a fresh install over the top of an existing one
and that keeps all my settings&configs as long as i didn't format the partition
during the install.  I have installed a 10.04 over the top of a 10.10 and then
when i opened Firefox all the same tabs opened that i had left open in the
10.10.  Errr, my main reasoning there was to try to upgrade an unsupported
version without having to use subsequent versions that were also unsupported.
By going backwards to the 10.04 LTS (LTS= Long Term Support) i was then able to
upgrade LTS to LTS to get to the 12.04LTS.  Again Firefox remembered all my
tabs.  Afterwards i realised i could have just done a fresh install of the
12.04 instead of using the 10.04LS as a stepping stone.  Hindsight is great
isn't it! ;)