At 16:36 26/07/2015 -0600, Jerry Gonly wrote:
... I am using LO to read fiction which is downloaded from the internet to my computer. Reading a long novel (>500 pages) and losing your place when closing the book sucks. The work around that I developed was to insert a string of "X" at the cursor point before closing the novel. Then on reopening the book, having to do a search for the string.

Remember there is a simpler way - which does not require modification of the text.

To set a bookmark:
o Go to Insert | Bookmark... or click the Bookmark button on the Insert toolbar. (You could set a keyboard shortcut for this action if you preferred, of course.)
o Name the bookmark.

To return to the bookmark, either:
o Open the Navigator and double-click the bookmark name.
Or (more easily):
o Right-click the Page Number area at the left of the Status Bar and click the bookmark name.

o Shift+F5 ("Restore Editing View") should return to the last editing position - but this won't help for a document that you are merely reading and not modifying, of course.

Here's another idea: export your text to PDF and display it in Adobe Reader. There is a Preferences setting in Adobe Reader to "Restore last view settings when reopening documents". I suspect this applies only to those documents in the "recently used" list, but you can also configure how many documents that contains.

Brian Barker