Hi Chris!

On 22.11.11 21:05, Chris Dagdigian wrote:
> The user errors I see are familiar ones:
>  "can't get password entry for user "x". Either user does not exist or
> NIS error!"

I assume those errors are intermittent and not permanent. Otherwise I'm
pretty sure you found them long before your users were accessing the
system :-)

My workaround for such nasty bugs are static passwd / group files on the
compute nodes. I use a "getent passwd" and "getent group" on the
headnode which is attached to any arbitrary directory service and copy
those lines to the appropriate files on the compute nodes. Of course
you'll need some lines of your favorite scripting language to merge the
system users with those out of the directory.

Authentication could still be directed to the directory services by
using PAM. You only have to make NSS happy to run jobs using any kind of
job scheduler.

Beat

--
     \|/                           Beat Rubischon <b...@0x1b.ch>